How To: Install and Run Network Simulator (NS2) v2.35 on Ubuntu 10.04
I was contacted by a friend asking me if I can write an article explaining how to get network simulator allinone v 2.35 running on Ubuntu 10.04. It is true that NS3 is out, but the later version is not backward compatible with many of the existing model. So here are the steps.
Well, first of all, download Network Simulator from HERE.
Then, you have to make sure that the following packages are installed on your ubuntu. So open up a terminal shell and run this command:
t install build-essential autoconf automake libxmu-dev
Extract the downloaded NS package either using the right click context menu (GUI Ubuntu) or using the following command from a terminal shell.
tar -xvzf ns-allinone-2.35.tar.gz
Go to the directory of where you have extracted the package and install NS2 using the following command:
cd ns-allinone-2.35 then
Now that NS2 is installed, there are some environment variables that need to be added to your profile. This can be done by editing the .bashrc file. Be sure to change “/path/to” to the path of where you have extracted NS2.
Open the file using:
gedit ~/.bashrc and the following at the end of the file:
You need to validate NS2 to check if everything is ok but beware that it will take lots of time:
cd ns-2.35 then
Now if you want to start NS2 directly without going into the directory every time, it is useful to create a symbolic link from a terminal:
ln -s /path/to/ns-allinpne-2.35/ns-2.35/ns /usr/bin/ns
And That is it ! You can now run ns from a terminal window by executing :
ns if you received the “%” sign, it means that NS is running.
- Turn your Windows 7 into a Mac OS X Lion
- UMPlayer: a Versatile Media Player that plays Everything
- TrueCrypt: a Freeware for on-the-fly Encryption
- Finally, Messenger Plus! Live 5 for Windows Live Messenger 2011 Arrives
- Launchy: Keystroke Launcher
- Make from Windows 7 a Hotspot with Connectify
- Windows 7′s ORB Changer
- TaskDock Centers your Windows 7′s taksbar icons
- ZeuApp : With 1 Application you can get 82 more for free
- Firefox 3.6.2 Portable Application for USB Drives